Rabri recipe – Creamy Shahi Rabri – Rabdi Malai
Rabri or Rabdi is a classic and traditional north Indian dessert. It is prepared by boiling the milk slowly on low flame in a large deep and thick pan (kadai), till all its moisture evaporates and it reduces to semi thick consistency or one third of the original milk quantity. Rabdi becomes thicker after it is cooled.
During the boiling process, a layer of cream (Malai) is formed on top of milk, which is shifted in the corner of pan. The process of shifting malai repeats again and again to form lachhe. Finally this lachhe are added back to the remaining milk, thus allowing the milk to reach a thick consistency. Basically rabri is saffron flavored thicken and sweeten milk, having layers of malai or milk cream. Due to multiple layers of malai, it is also known as “Lachha Rabri”. You can also add chopped dry fruits like almonds and pistachio to it, but I love to keep it simple. Preparing rabri is very easy, but it’s a time consuming. You can prepare rabdi by doing other household work. This is multi-tasking and you have to be attentive while preparing it.
The key to a rich and creamy Rabri lies in the quality of milk used and simmering the milk over low flame. Always use full cream milk while making Rabdi.
Rabdi with nice flavor of saffron and dry fruits, tastes delicious either served warm or chilled.
You can serve this rich dessert with shahi tukda, gulab jamun, jalebi, malpua and faluda on special occasion, parties and festivals too. If you are looking for other traditional sweet recipes then please do check Gulab Jamun Shahi Tudka, Moongdal ki burfi, Coconut burfi, Gond ke Laddu, Gujiya, Til ke laddu, Til ki burfi and Shrikhand
Rabri step by step video recipe
Rabri step by step written recipe
- Full Cream Milk - 1 Litre or 5 Cup
- Sugar - ¼ Cup
- Saffron / Kesar - 8 – 10 leaves
- Pista / Pistachio - 6 - 7 pieces
- Turn on the burner and put a deep - heavy bottom non-stick pan on it. Pour milk in it and let it boil.
- Once the milk is boiled, lower down the flame.
- You will observe a layer of cream on the top of milk, shift it with the help of spoon towards the pan rim as shown in the video.
- Stir the milk in between, otherwise it may burn. Keep the burner on low medium heat.
- Keep shifting the layer of cream in the corner of pan till the milk reduces to one third in quantity.
- Add sugar to it and stir it continuously until the sugar has melted.
- In a separate pot, take 1 tablespoon of milk and add saffron leaves to it. Crush it well and add it to the above mixture.
- Turn off the burner and scratch the gathered cream layer from the edges of the pan and mix it with the milk.
- Take it out in a serving bowl. Garnish it with pistachio / saffron and refrigerate it.
- Our Delicious Homemade Rabri is ready to serve. Serve it cold and enjoy it.
If you like this post, I would really love it, if you pin it or share it with your Facebook fans or Twitter followers or Google+ circles today. All it takes is a simple click on the ” like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons or “Pin it” button below the post. Thank you!
Affiliate links help to support my website and the free recipe content I provide. A percentage of any purchase you make via these links will go towards buying ingredients, photography supplies and server space, as well as all the other expenses involved in running a large cooking website. Thank you very much for browsing!