Homemade Buttermilk Recipe | Masala Chaas
Homemade Buttermilk Recipe
Buttermilk is a cold and refreshing beverage on a hot summer day made from curd (yogurt). It cools the body, nourishes the soul and drives away the heat. It made all over India with some variations. It is also known as Chaas, Moru, Chaanch, Taak, Tak. This is very helpful in digestion. Hence many people have it with their meals throughout the year. It is also served in traditional thali meals in many restaurants. If any one is having indigestion problem in consuming milk then he / she can regularly drink buttermilk, it will improves one’s digestion.
In general, people drink buttermilk made by skimmed curd plus water and for making it more tasteful you can add spices to it.
It’s very easy to make a quick buttermilk at home in less than 5 minutes. Here we have used homemade curd, roasted cumin powder, dry ginger powder and dried mint powder to make this delicious buttermilk.
Step by Step Homemade Buttermilk Recipe Video
Step by Step Homemade Buttermilk Recipe written
- Put curd / yogurt in a mixture grinder jar and blend till smooth.
- Add cold water in the jar as shown in video.
- Add roasted cumin powder, dry ginger powder, dry mint powder, asafoetida (hing), black salt and white salt in the jar and mixed it very well.
- Our buttermilk is ready.
- Put some ice cubes in a serving glass and pour buttermilk in it.
- Serve chilled and keep yourself cool by drinking lots of buttermilk.
2. You can adjust the consistency of butter milk by reducing or adding water as per your taste.
3. Ensure that the curd used should be fresh and not very sour. Here we have used homemade curd. if you want to make curd at home please click here for recipe.
4. Before serving buttermilk, stir it with spoon and then pour into glass. As time goes, masala may get settle at the bottom of the container.
5. If making during fast or Hindu vrat, please use sendha namak. Also skip black salt.
Culinary uses of Buttermilk
- Pancakes, dhoklas, cakes and dosas get a fantastic rise when buttermilk is included in the recipe, due its high alkaline content.
- Besan or chickpea flour, with spices and buttermilk make for a choice accompaniment when served with rice. Locally this is known as kadhi chawal.
- Making upma with buttermilk is as healthy as it is delicious.
How to store Buttermilk
- Room temperature sours the buttermilk.
- Ideally the best place to store it is in the refridgerator for 1 to 2 days.
Health benefits of Buttermilk
- Buttermilk is excellent for digestion.
- Buttermilk is lower in fat and calories than regular milk because the fat from buttermilk has already been removed to make butter.
- Easily digestible in comparison to whole milk, it also contains more lactic acid than skim milk. Thus, those with digestive problems are often advised to drink buttermilk rather than milk.
- High in protein, riboflavin, potassium, vitamin B12 and calcium.
- Your body absorbs and reacts better to buttermilk as it is easily digestible.
- It detoxifies the body and cleanses the intestines.
- It relieves people suffering from constipation.
- It is a healthy dink for people who suffer from piles and obesity.
If you are looking for more cooling beverages then do check
If you like this post, I would really love it, if you pin it or share it with your Facebook fans or Twitter followers or Google+ circles today. All it takes is a simple click on the ” like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons or “Pin it” button below the post. Thank you!