Dry Ginger Powder (Sonth) recipe
Dry Ginger Powder
Sontha / Sonth is the powder of dried ginger root or ‘Adrak’. The taste is pungent and the more fibrous variety has greater medicinal value than the non-fibrous ones.
In India, it is commonly used as a kitchen-spice, an ingredient of chutneys/ foods/ choorans/ drinks and herbal teas. A common household remedy for a variety of complaints. Its action on the body is heat- producing.
Dry ginder powder is easily available in market, but preparing it at home is very easy. Homemade Indian spices are pure, hygienic, unadulterated and very cheap in compare to market available version.
For more Homemade Indian spices recipes, checkout:
- Jiralu Powder or Garadu masala
- Kasuri methi powder
- Homemade Dried Mint Powder
- Milk Masala Powder Recipe
- Garam Masala Recipe
- Roasted Cumin Powder
- Chai Masala | Tea Powder Recipe
- Sambar Powder Recipe | sambar masala
Dry Ginger Powder (Sonth) video recipe
Dry Ginger Powder (Sonth) written recipe
- Fresh Ginger - 200 Gram
- Wash the ginger nicely and wipe it with a cotton cloth, this will remove the mud from ginger.
- Peel and cut the Ginger into small pieces as shown in the video.
- Now we have two methods to dry Ginger first is to spread ginger pieces on a paper or cotton cloth and dry it in sunlight for two days and then powder it in mixer to make dry ginger powder.
- Second method is using the microwave, where we can make dry ginger powder immediately.
- To make Dry ginger powder in microwave, spread the ginger pieces evenly in microwave plate and microwave it at 60% power for 5 minutes, stir a little in between as shown in the video, when done again microwave it for 5 min at 80% power.
- Now give it a 10 min standing time.
- Now put these dry pieces in the grinder and grind to make a fine powder.
- Dry Ginger Powder is ready to be stored and used whenever required.
Benifits of Dry ginger powder or Sonth
- Using dry ginger powder with jaggery helps in the treatment of jaundice.
- A quarter or half teaspoon of dry ginger powder and a little licorice with milk at night helps to reduce the risk of miscarriage in pregnant women.
- This mixture is also helpful to cool bad throat and cough.
- Dry ginger powder taken with water kills intestinal worms.
- Ginger with lemon and celery is helpful in digestion. If this mixture is taken half an hour before meals, It will help in increasing appetite of children.
- It is also used to enhance the flavor of food, salad, herbal tea, various chutneys or a tasty drink like jal jeera.
If you like this post, I would really love it, if you pin it or share it with your Facebook fans or Twitter followers or Google+ circles today. All it takes is a simple click on the ” like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons or “Pin it” button below the post. Thank you!
Affiliate links help to support my website and the free recipe content I provide. A percentage of any purchase you make via these links will go towards buying ingredients, photography supplies and server space, as well as all the other expenses involved in running a large cooking website. Thank you very much for browsing!